In this blog post I am going to share with you how to create a compelling LinkedIn marketing headline that will help you attract more clients. After all, that’s what we want right? A steady supply of highly targeted leads that convert to clients!
I started using LinkedIn marketing and social selling to get new clients back in since 2007. Since then I have generating over $20 million in new business with my LinkedIn marketing system. I now consult with entrepreneurs, consultants and sales leaders to help them leverage LinkedIn for their businesses.
One of the first things I do with new clients is to teach them how to optimize their LinkedIn profile starting with their headline. In my opinion, one of the most important ingredients to a successful LinkedIn profile is a compelling headline. The bad news is, 8 out of 10 LinkedIn users are doing it all wrong. The good news is, anyone can do it if you follow a few simple steps.
The fact is, most people are still treating their LinkedIn profile like a resume. They think the best use of the headline is to add their job title, company name, email or phone #. What they are forgetting is the fact that you only get one chance to make good first impression and that no one cares about your title!
So what do users care about?
- They care about what’s in it for them?
- They care about what value you can provide them?
- They care about what proof you can offer?
- They care about what makes you different from the rest of the not so memorable slubs that are try to sell them something every single day?
So here are 5 tips to help you create a compelling LinkedIn headline!
1. Answer these 4 questions before you get started to save ton of time versus trying to piece meal your message together.
- What do you do?
- Who do you help?
- How can you help them?
- What proof can you share?
2. Make sure your headline summarizes your value proposition and focuses on building credibility. Given the fact that you only get about 3-5 seconds to make a good first impression, you better make it clear exactly what value you bring to the table and why you would make a valuable addition to their network.
NOTE: You only have 200 characters in your headline so every word counts. It may take several iterations before you find the right combination or words and structure to maximize your impact.
3. Speak directly to your target market and only your target market. This is very important because if you try to speak to everyone you will, in turn, speak to no one. You need to spend some time really defining your exact target marketing. Who exactly is your ideal customer avatar and then craft your headline to speak directly to them!
4. Be creative. Standing out from the crowd by telling people how you are different is one of the best ways to be remembered. I am not the most creative writer but I have found that a little bit of creative thought in positioning your message can go a long way in leaving a good first impression.
Here are some examples of well written headlines. After perusing my connections to see who stands out from the crowd at first glance it looks like the ladies having been paying close attention. 🙂
5. Don’t make these common headline mistakes.
- Don’t use all caps
- Don’t include your job title, email or phone #
- Don’t use symbols
- Don’t be boring
- Don’t be desperate
- Don’t be cheesy
Your headline is the most important piece of real estate on your LinkedIn profile and your message will either attract or repel potential clients. Remember,you only get one chance to make a good first impression! If you follow these 5 steps I am confident you will be well on your way to creating a compelling and effective LinkedIn profile.
Did this help you? If so, please take a moment to comment below and SHARE on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn!
P.S. If you’re interested in getting more leads, more customer and more profits and are curious about what LinkedIn marketing and social selling can do for your business, click here to schedule a free 30 minute LinkedIn marketing & social selling strategy call.
P.S.S. Do you have my book? If not, download it now for FREE “The 7 Habits of Highly Successful LinkedIn Users” at http://www.LinkedAcademy.com
“Stop the madness. There’s a better way!”
LinkedIn Marketing & Social Selling Consultant, Trainer, Speaker